Friday, February 6, 2015

Dancing in the CA rain

Rebekah in Burbank 

Herman Glauser eating a favorite in this area: Corn on the Cob, MAYO, and Chili powder 

Hola hola!

It rained twice this week. One was last Monday when we played flag football at the park for PDAY and the other was on jueves when the roads were practically flooded! Best part yet...our car battery died the moment it started down pouring like crazy!!!!!! Luckily, our handy dandy zone leaders were able to come by and give us a jump start (they also gave us some delicious chocolate chip cookies and milk, yummm!) While we waited for them, we knocked on some apartments, I gave my jacket to Hna G., so I used a cardigan as a cape-shield type thing. Very fun :) We're just glad that there was rain! We sure have been needing it!! :) Other than that, it's been super sunny but not too hot, so I've been loving this temperature! :)

We always go contacting on two busy streets, where we have a few latino pockets, (Burbank Blvd, and Magnolia) we've walked these streets so often that the people who always hang out on them know us very well! They always talk to us and always tell us that they have our backs and if we need anything to let them know because they know we're of God and doing a good work! It's very funny, but awesome at the same time! We've nick-named them because a lot of times they give us silly "gang names" like Solo or Trace-3, one of our favorite nicknames we've given is "mauy thai kickbox guy" because it rhymes and he always asks us to visit his gym if he visits Mormon.org haha it's very fun :) one of them also thinks I have a british accent, so that's cool too

The best part is, some of those contacts (Burbank blvd) actually know the Elders too! Because half the street is our area and the other half is the elders, so sometimes they run into people we've just contacted, so they get to hear stories about us from them haha it's very funny to hear what they say about us or how they react to
seeing the elders, like "hey we just met some of you a few minutes ago, what is this!?"

We saw someone wearing some funny pj-pants crossing the street and Hna. G goes, "Oh I am so rocking those when I'm a mortal again" haha :)

I was braiding my hair the other day and MY HAIR CUT MY FINGER? It was weird.

This week we got to contact someone, pick them up as an investigator right there, and then commit them to the Word of Wisdom, walking him over to the curb and (with his permission) dumping out his beer can!!! The funniest part was we then didn't know what to do with the beer can because we didn't want to litter. So we ended up putting it into our car (ew) and having to rush over to our next cita at the iglesia. When we walked in, I had hidden the can so we could throw it away in the dumpster, but Hna. G went on and told the story so we showed them as proof. It was hilarious, the YM and leaders were cracking up. Very fun!

Cookies from Ecuador are very yummy!! and it's very cool to be meeting all these people from all these different countries! I LOVE IT! :) and I LOVE THAT I CAN SPEAK TO THEM!!!! :)

We met a viejito cowboy who took us to meet his daughter, who we then picked up as an investigator! (Claudia) she is very amazing! she said our message is just what she needed to hear and it was answering her questions and providing her hope!!!!!! :) we can't wait to see her again this week too :)

So, we went to check on a referral, but he wasn't home. We did start talking to a guy in the building though. He was outside drinking and smoking, he was older and he still knew what was going on. We learned a lot about him. (His name is Alex). He is very cool. I ended up in tears in the middle of the contact, bearing my testimony about how tough life is but that the Lord IS there, that He is providing a way, and that He NEVER leaves us alone. And how that is why we were there, talking to him, and bringing him this love and this message. He shared with us his story. He wants to quit drinking but can't because it takes his back pain away, his medicine was taken away and etc. He used to be a fire fighter and was one of the fire fighters who helped during 9/11, which is where he got his back injury and had to have surgery and nails put in and such. He said how he was sick of life and sick of pain and how no one is there for him. After testifying and such, he shared how he was actually about to just go out and not come back and just wait to die because he couldn't stand it anymore. I testified to him once again, but we weren't getting too far. He thanked us for saving him and for talking with him. The phone rang, I quickly picked it up and started talking in Spanish saying we'll be a little late for the cita.  Boy was he shocked! He instantly started talking in Spanish right back to us! We could more clearly understand now!! It was the coolest thing, suddenly he was opening up and our testifying was super awesome! Then, out of nowhere, we boldly told him that if he just STOPPED drinking, even if it's little by little, the Lord would provide a way for him to have his medicine back and not have such strong pain. We walked over to a bush and dumped his beer out. We testifiyed more, gave him our number if he needed any more help, and left him with a book of Mormon, prayers, and a word of wisdom folleto. To make this long story short, we met with him the next day. We learned more about his story and boldly testified. He thanked us over and over, we made sure he knew we were here for him and oh I just love him so much! He's the coolest and I know he can do it and I know that the Lord will help him and I loooove the way he asks us questions straight up and boldly and that I can just straight up answer him and testify back!

We set some goals with him and left him with our testimonies and promises. It was the coolest thing! Unfortunately, the next day he said he got his medicine back (we have no idea how) and that he wants us to not come back because he doesn't want to hurt us and he doesn't think he'll be able to stop drinking. Anyway, long story short, we had the coolest investigator this week but only for 3 days. But I learned a lot and he's still in my prayers and I know we helped him and planted that seed and I know how grateful he is and I'm just glad to have met him.

Okay, I needa get goin', I get so caught up in these emails sometimes I forget stuff, but the bottom line is that BEING A MISSIONARY IS SO AWESOME!!! :) :) I am so thankful to be part of this work and to be here in Burbank and to be doing the work of the Lord! I am learning so much more about myself but I am also just loooooooooooooving the people and serving them! It's the COOLEST feeling ever! I love this gospel and I know with all my heart that it is true!

I love you all and hope you have a good week :)

Con carino,
Hermana Day <3




No comments:

Post a Comment